The Fruit, Wheel of Dharma, and Nirvana (Part 2)

Episode 18 


Episode 1     Episode 2       Episode 3     Episode 4      Episode 5      Episode 6      Episode 7

Episode 8     Episode 9      Episode 10    Episode 11    Episode 12    Episode 13    Episode 14


Episode 15 
   Episode 16    Episode 17     Episode 18



Our bus circled around Karo La, reaching as high as 5,100 meters. On the other side of Karo La, there were a viewing area full of tourists, some establishments where people could enjoy food and buy souvenirs at an unbelievably inflated price, and a huge parking lot where people come and go. 

To be honest, I didn't see this coming: A full service tourist stop in the middle of nowhere. 

Karo La Glacier and a cow
Our guide warned us not to pose any pictures around the "locals" wearing traditional Tibetan clothing there. If they somehow noticed that they were in one of your photos, they would ask money from you because you "wanted" to be in the same photo with them. If you looked around, there wasn't any villages around anyways. So being "locals" that never existed was probably career opportunities for many people living in the nearby region.

The Karo La Glacier
Speaking of the nearby region, there was a giant lake there. Many believed it was the materialized soul of the Panchen Lama. Considered as one of the three holy lakes in Tibet together with the Namtso and Lake Manasarovar, the Yamdrok Lake was the last major sight on our bucket list. One could not simply see the entirety of the claw shaped lake anywhere on its shore. Most of the people, like us, just viewed the lake from an observation point.  The turquoise color of the lake was an reflection of the rich mineral that was  deposited underneath the lake. 

The Yamdrok Lake
The Yamdrok Lake
A Village by the shore of Yamdrok Lake
Yamdrok Lake
That evening, we returned back to Lhasa. We spent the next day at the Norbulingka, Dalai Lama's summer palace. In 1959 the 14th Dalai Lama left Lhasa from there. 

Norbulingka
 But he never returned.

All of us were leaving Lhasa the next day.

Will we return one day?

...........................................................................................................

The last morning in Lhasa was rainy as usual. Many of us had to wake very early so we could catch our flight. The Lhasa Airport was some 80 kilometers away from the city. Some of our group mates, like Aurelie, did not have to wake up at 5:00. 

But she did. 

They all did.

Scenery near Lhasa
I bid farewell to Aurelie. I had learned so much from her during my time in Tibet. I think I had definitely become a better person after my trip in Tibet.

At the airport, after saying goodbye to Cheryl, Rose, and Niail, I boarded the plane that left the highest plateau on earth. When the plane took off, what underneath me not far away was the roof of the world.

Scenery near Lhasa

................................................................................................................

My uncle and aunt came to pick me up. They asked me about my time in Tibet, and where I went.

"You were at Mount Kailash right?" My uncle asked. " In 2014 I was there too. Because of my work there I had to circle that thing 9 times during that one trip!"

Then I remembered something: 2014 was the year of horse, and for every circle pilgrims made, it was equivalent to 12 circles.

My uncle circled Mount Kailash 9 times, in the year of horse. He had made 108 circles, which meant that........

"You have achieved nirvana!? "

My uncle just sat there like nothing happened. I wasn't sure whether he didn't hear what I just said, didn't know how to answer it, or simply didn't want to answer my question at all. 

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamphel received a phone call from His son Kelsang, who is now studying at a university in India under the sponsorship of the Hindu elder's two sons. The daughter Tsering worked in Shanghai after graduating with a Master's degree there. Jamphel was very proud of His two children.

"Papa, remember that I asked you a question about what was on the other side of the mountain?"

Jamphel remembered. He told His son that He always thought that there would be more mountains on the other side of a mountain.

"You were right Papa. There are more mountains on the other side of the mountain behind our house. But eventually, Papa, on the other side of one mountain, there is the ocean."

Kelsang raised his phone high in the air. Jamphel heard the sound of waves, and the singing birds right above it - for the very first time.

He didn't know what an ocean look like. But He believed that it must be the most beautiful thing in the world.

(The END)

Comments